Thursday, September 03, 2009

happy Birthday Part Deux

Looks like Missy is sharing a birthday today. In true Schmeff fashion, his child took the term "Labor Day" literally and decided to show up early.

Now, we all have our fun teasing the Schmeffster, but I have to tell you that despite the fact that I know he's probably worrying like crazy about becoming a parent, I know without a doubt that Schmeff will be an amazing father.

Why?

Well, let's start with me. I think its no secret that I can easily have the mentality of a kid. In fact, thanks to the gazillion lil' ones my friends have created over the past few years, I often relate more to the kids than the adults.

Schmeff indulged this throughout our 6 years as roommates. Whether it was going to the circus or acknowledging Baxter as a real dog, he not only humored me, but actually seemed to enjoy it.

He's also a natural born protector, though he doesn't know it. On 9/11, who walked 40 city blocks to come rescue me? That would be Schmeff. Who carried me through the Hoboken terminial during the bomb threat? Who used a hand pumping generator to get my car off a lift during the 2003 blackout so I could make my brothers wedding? And when I was falsely abducted, who turned up in the police terminal covered in sweat from jumping subway turnstiles. All him, friends.

Schmeff also loves Christmas, though he won't admit it. And (thanks to me), he knows how to pick the biggest and best tree in the lot.

Of course, Schmeff's overactive imagination and his theories of efficient midgets will make him a legend in the minds of his kids.

He is a strong advocate he refuses to let people quit. No matter how many times I have wanted to, Schmeff made me believe I can do what I do. And that I'm good at it.

While he's a big baby when he's sick, he's also a caretaker. No one else had to endure Utie quite as much as Schmeff. So whether it was making me grilled cheese or sneaking out to bring home a Christmas tree, he was born to make folks happy.

So, while we'll all get a great laugh as he becomes an expert in the technical stuff - diapers, milk, etc. This guy has what it takes to be among the great dads that I've come to know and love.

Its with great love and best wishes that I'm happy to announce Baby Boy (name TBD) Drury. I welcome you to a world filled with love from Schmeff's extensive circle of friends. You will never be alone here.

My love to all and smooches,
Auntie G

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more G! he'll go through all the normal "new-parent" stuff, just like we all did, but he's going to be a great dad! (Added bonus: he can now teach his son to ride a bike!!! :)

Congrats Jeff and Nicole!!! Can't wait to meet baby boy!!!

love dee

Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated G.
Best wishes to Jeff and Nicole!!!

Anonymous said...

SO HAPPY THAT LITTLE DRURY HAS MY BIRTHDAY! It's just makes my day all the more special and wonderful. I am just irked that I didn't pick my bday for the baby pool. I thought Nicole would go late like we all seem to manage to do! No one deserves to, so I am so happy for them and the little guy! Can't wait to hear the name! Lovesies, Miss