It's been such a week. Client meetings, work until 10 pm almost every night and missing multiple events because of it is misery in itself. I didn't anticipate dealing with a broken hot water heater, dealing with the landscaper while also working and fixing my wifi. So thankful for the super helpful superhero who showed up to help not only manage the plumber so I could stay on yet another 4 hour conference call but also cleaned my downstairs, walk the dog and still find time to grill up steak and veggies.
I was so looking forward to a "normal" day. But, that just never happens. Despite finally getting some sleep, I let out my dog and started fixing her breakfast (bc I don't eat unless she does). She comes bouncing back to the door with something wriggly in her mouth. After numerous screams, she lets go and it's a tiny baby bunny. I'm totally devastated but the bunny isn't really injured, thankfully. So after numerous calls, I'm off to an animal refuge to drop off the bunny who I set up in a shoebox. No time to shower or anything...get lost in the woods (literally) but bunny gets dropped off.
Come back and head outside to figure out where the bunny nest is which my dog brings me to. Then realize, there's a bunch of them out there. After 15 minutes in the blazing sun, I get my dog to leave the nest area and back in the house. I go back out to cover the nest with branches and brush. And then I spot the worst part of my day...dead mom bunny.
My dog probably tried to alert me last night as she freaked out, barking and snarling at the door at 1 am. I was too tired to deal.
So...then I knew that these little bunnies needed to be rescued too. I call the wildlife refuge and they say they can't take them and call animal rescue because the mom rabbit was likely attacked by a feral cat...which I know hang out around my house. So, next recommendation was animal control which said they don't handle the situation. Back to the refuge who after my begging, agree to take the other babies but I was on my own with the disposal.
I've grown the balls to pick up dead birds but rabbit I just can't do. Once again, I have to ask for help...which despite me waking home up, comes in record time.
He does the disposal and I get the bunnies in yet another shoebox, which justifies my recent shoe shopping. Then back to the refuge we go where I'm so rattled and sad I give them a donation in the hopes the bunnies will be taken care of. When we finally get back, once again I'm nicely spoiled with Bloody Marys and steak wraps.
But, I am spent. My mother kindly called me "a special angel" but I have to tell you I feel more like I'm rescuing everything while drowning at the same time.
Hoping vacation comes quickly and actually results in relaxation.

No comments:
Post a Comment