Friday, November 18, 2016

Happy birthday, wherever you are...

Today would've been my grandmother's birthday, which I've posted years before. It's been almost 20 years since she passed, but I still hear her like she's right beside me. Sometimes when it's not exactly convenient because she was famous for her not so PC one liners... so, when someone is acting rude, I hear her say things like "that woman is a real tomato (pronounced tom-MAY-ta)." Or her love/hate relationship with the Dragon Lady aka our Chinese food restaurant where she would get her lobster imperial dish. Or when she would take off to AC and get in trouble with my dad because she never told anyone and they'd be worried sick.

She still makes me laugh out loud when I think of those things.

I still shed a tear every time I remember walking into her house and her randomly shouting "Gina, I just LOVE YOU." She used to hug me so hard when she did that. I never knew why, but when I hug my nieces, I think I get it... at least a piece of it. 


Time is supposed to heal wounds and make it easier. But, it's been two decades without her, over three decades without my Poppie, the man who arguably loved me more than anyone in this world ever would or could. (That's no offense to my dad, superhero or friends...just this guy really adored me like no other). I never stop missing them. I hope they're having fun where they are, but I hope they miss me too because most of the time I would give anything to have them here just for a minute. Tell me where I'm going right, going wrong... hell even boost my ego for a minute and tell me I'm still the best kid ever.

This is why I'm a big advocate of never taking your family (or friends or anything you love) for granted. Don't miss something important in their lives because of your job or because "you'll see them tomorrow". I've made that mistake. You can't get those moments back. Ever.

So happy birthday, Grandma... wherever you are... may it be filled with slots that all line up in 7s, a nice cold beer or a good perfect Manhattan. I love you.

No comments: