Sad but true fact, I haven't had much Christmas spirit the last two years. Coming from the former queen of Christmas threw up here that sucks to admit. It wasn't that I loved the day itself because I've been apart from my full family for years now. And beyond my annual Hallmark snowman, it certainly wasn't the gifts (see every December in archives). It was more about the time of year, seeing friends and my Griswold family.
I spent last Christmas worried about my career instead of enjoying what I had...a fiancé, our little furry couch potato, close friends that always insist we be part of their family. I played along, but couldn't get outside my own head.
Now husband came with a flaw...shh...I know I say he's flawless. But, he was fully transparent about being no fan of my favorite holiday. I spent several Christmases working to convince him in the only ways I knew how - booze, ugly sweater parties, awesome gifts, more booze. And you know what? It worked. This year, almost two weeks before Tree Day, he texted me that he was excited it was almost Christmas. A week later, he already had my gifts...and I don't even have a clue what they are. Not only was he prepared for Tree Day, he's an expert at tree lighting, made my winning ugly sweater beer pong shirt and even posed in this ridiculous snowman portrait.
So...despite me not having everything perfect in life, I know I need to get my Christmas shhh..stocking together and get some cheer. Poor guy really is doing everything he can, so I'm trying hard to get my head out of my mistletoe and realize that despite not being where I want to be in some parts of my life...I still have the things that are most important. It's a struggle right now...but if I didn't have him, our fur kid, our insane but lovable family and our lovely friends...well, the world just wouldn't be even close to as awesome as it is.
So as much as he hates the music, "Merry Christmas baby, sure do treat me right" and of course "all I want for Christmas is you."
Smooches,
G

No comments:
Post a Comment