Ok... I'm guilty. After years of birthday mishaps (see every July ever on this blog), my body goes into a natural funk right before my birthday. Unfortunately, me being sad or grumpy leads to a world of hurt for those around me. It's not on purpose, it's just not something I can seem to shake.
But then, of course, the day comes and I'm bombarded with texts and Facebook messages from so many wonderful people. I know I seem like a geek for answering each one, but, I am a geek. My whole rationale is that even if it took people 10 seconds to send me that message, they still took 10 seconds of their time - for me. And yea, I really am that appreciative because when I was a young kid, friends were not exactly easy to come by, so I've made it a point to actually appreciate anyone that is willing to be my friend.
It's not an easy task. I take a village and lately one that has received a lot of distress calls for help with my dog, help with my house... help with my overall sanity.
This week, I actually saw my very first friend (at least the friend that I can remember). I hadn't seen her in more than 20 years. She never seemed to mind that I was friendless or that I was a complete dork who made up research projects from myself to study the Statue of Liberty or the Titanic at like age 8. When you're a chubby geek in glasses, you don't really have a lot going on. And while she was a science geek herself, she'll probably never know that out of the few childhood memories that stuck in this old brain, her being my friend was probably one of the most important.
Luckily, I realized really early in life that there was no way I could be anyone but me and if people didn't like it, they could suck it. While that wasn't always the most comfortable place to be, at least I can say I handled things in my own way. Conformity wasn't something I was capable of doing.
And so here I am today. The beauty of only being yourself is that your friends not only accept you, but stick with you... they become village people, if you will. (And yea, I've actually had a few of them dress up like the Village People, but that's a story for another time).
So, as much as I funk out, when the day comes, it is a pretty solid reminder to appreciate exactly where I am - even if it's never quite where I want to be. I'm a lucky gal on many, many fronts right now... well loved by many people, have a superhero who is probably spending way too much time protecting me, blessed with my furry bff and even a job... an interesting job, but still a job.
Life ain't too bad and the only thing that can make better is the bourbon salad with frozen water croutons that I plan to order for dinner tonight. (Yes, Scotty, I just stole your line... it was a good one).
Smooches all, thank you so much for all the birthday love and carrying me through my funk,
G
No comments:
Post a Comment