Saturday, January 05, 2008

Why Ask Why?

But, why, G? Why? By now, everyone who's been keeping track of me has asked this question - whether calling me directly or to themselves. Some of the phoned-in questions: "Aren't you taking on a bit much?" "Do you really think you can do this?" "WHY are you doing this?"

There are several answers. The first is, of course, I don't know if I can succeed at all these challenges I laid out for myself. That's why they are called challenges!

Second, and seemingly important to a bunch of you, I did NOT commit to quit drinking for good. Let's get real, people! 45 days (or as of today, 40). Have I committed to quitting other bad habits for good? Essentially, yes. I've committed to reducing my overindulgence - how's that for a good PR answer?

Ah - and now for the best question. Why? If you want the full answer, it's going to cost you - my guess is about $24.95 in hardcopy; $14.95 paperback, and if I'm lucky, $10 at your favorite moviehouse.

A wise woman (that's you Schelissa) told me a few months ago, that I needed to stop blogging all the good stuff and save it for the book. Well - I listened to that advice. So, you've been getting maybe half of the life of G.

I need a final chapter - and at the moment, I'm not depending on a Prince Charming and a Happily Ever After. In case you think I didn't know, there's a thin line between the fun-loving, party gal and the over-the-top drunk girl. Noone wants to be the eternal bar fly with nothing more to show for their life then being able to walk into any bar and having the bartender greet them with their speciality drink and, in certain cases, a tiara. So, in order to gain the necessary depth I need to complete the book (er, my life), I felt I needed to, as someone well defined it, "suffer for my art".

But, I don't really consider this suffering. Certain parts are more difficult, but all of it seems right and necessary.

And no, I didn't do this because I thought I had a problem. I committed to drying out for 45 days, because even I realized that enough was enough. Between the drinking and the dating, I was usually out about 6 nights a week. Couple that with 60+ hours of work, and less than 6 hours of sleep a night, and it's amazing I haven't collapsed.

Beyond that, it's time to push myself to do different things. Like take Italian, which starts in April, or dance lessons again, which should start up in the Spring or Summer.

But for you, dear readers, different doesn't mean the end. With me, there's always a story, and usually, one that could only happen to me. So for those of you waiting in giddy anticipation for the blog announcing that I failed, keep reading. And for those of you slightly wiser folks, who know it's irrelevant if I fail because somehow, some way, G always manages to always come out on top at the end ... well, you all with always be the ones that I call friends. The ones that I strive to be better for, the people I want to emulate - the best of the bunch, and, of course, the ones that get the book for free. :-)

Smooch-
G

No comments: