Tuesday, March 27, 2007

No Man is An Island...

But that certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't live on one! Ok, so for those of you who don't know... while in my one-armed state, I started to research jobs in Key West. I moved down to DC, because I found it to be one of my "happy places", so I figured, KW was the best vacation I ever had, I should move there.

I was terribly sad when I found out that the Conch Republic does not have any actual PR firms, so I quickly gave up my dream. Much to my surprise, I was later sent a job listing email which normally only has jobs from the Big Apple, that clearly stated Key West magazine seeks Editor.

Really, what are the chances? A week or so after searching for jobs, one amazing opportunity is sent to me from the email gods? So, I quickly forward to my advisor de futura, Mr. M. Mixologist and The Paul....

Mr. M. Mixologist seemed to buy my deal of "if I get the job, then you come with as my personal mojito maker"... but The Paul's response was pretty inspiring:

What holds you back? I realize moving to Key West on your own right now might not be what you had in mind, but I could see you running this magazine with your experience and probably loving the more leisurely pace. First ten Editor G articles:

1) The best Pina Colada on the island award
2) The best conch fritters on the island award
3) The best beach on the island award
4) The best karaoke bar on the island award
5) How to collect bead necklaces from strangers in the wee hours.
6) Why doesn't Mallory Square have a S'more stand?
7) How to use your time pool side on a chaise lounge the most efficiently
8) The best pool boy on the island award
9) Why Cheetah Kittens should ride the shoe down at New Year's Eve
10) How to Fedex annoying tourists back to the mainland for under $100 (this would probably be my first article, actually)

Yes, I have taken crazy challenges before... from running and designing a yearbook without ever being part of the yearbook club to being a publicist working for the best selling book author from 1999 - 2003 and #3 most popular story under 9/11 and Iraq, without ever taking a class in PR...

But could he be right? Would someone buy my schpiel? Could someone with no actual editor experience run Key West magazine?

I have to say, I'm pretty confident that if given a chance, I could do rather well... or at least have a shitload of fun trying... but we'll see when I send in my amazing cover letter and resume tomorrow.

1 comment:

Telecomedian said...

I tried to get a job in my happy place, but I was shocked that Penelope Cruz's thighs weren't hiring.