Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Halt and Catch Fire

It's been awhile but even I can't keep up with the plot twists and turns. Almost every day something new needs to be fixed in my house. I know, the joys of homeownership yet seems the minute I became unemployed everything started to fall like dominos.

I've worked to master the art of making a good fire. A lot like life, it's harder than you may think. You need to really care for it, feed it..but not too much. You need to stoke the flame but sometimes it needs to go at its own time. It never goes out when you want it too. It requires a decent amount patience and setting an expectation that just because you put a bunch logs in, doesn't mean you have a full blown roaring flame in mere minutes.

Yes, my days of patiently waiting to hear back have resulted in my new ability to make a metaphor out of nearly everything.

Last night, I also went on a cleaning rampage of my kitchen. The goal was to extend that to a full cleaning rampage of my house. Yet after 4 hours of waiting for yet another service guy, 1 hour of repair and 2 dog walks...I've lost my mojo to get things underway. Today. Or really for this minute.

The art of relaxing...something new to master. Once something does come around I will regret not better spending my downtime, given I either worry, fix things or worse, zone out to oblivion. Technically, this is better than a drunken stupor...but not by much. Stupors are way more fun in the moment at least.

No comments: