Sometimes you see the right movie at the exact right time. That was definitely tonight. How To Be Single was exactly what was needed for both me and my friend who has been having a really rough divorce which is nearly finalized.
Nothing like seeing something that reminds me of who you were and why you were there in the first place to spark you to keep moving toward finding who you are now.
Dating in DC became nearly a full-time job. Longtime blog readers know this all too well... and if you're newer, I strongly encourage reading 2005-2009, which is both hilarious and heartbreaking all at the same time. This movie was quite similar.
Over the past year or so, it was rather easy to try to search for the "right" answer when I felt like I had found the wrong ones. But I sure did try to fit that square peg in the round hole.
So, who the hell am I now? I'm not sure I really asked myself that question recently and the best part - I have no clue what the answer even is. It would seem I find myself in a time of carte blanche, blank slate and whatever other cliche you'd like to describe it.
There's something truly refreshing about this at the moment. Having absolutely no clue where I will wind up - career, location and even when it comes to the L word.
Right now, I have a chance for a do-over and I'm taking it. My DC bestie said to me on the phone today "you're reading books, hitting the gym, going to movies...look at you!"
I whined about heartbreak, unemployment and my endless drama. Yet, walking out of that movie, really talking about it and how it relates to me and my friend's current situations...really flipped that all on its head for me.
I'm smiling because it really is just me and not any old version of me. A version that has many questions and absolutely no answers. One that has time to explore what the answers could be and what she wants to be when she never grows up but goes on.
Even if I wake up tomorrow with the same old panic of "OMG, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? Where will I live? Will my dog and I have to share a cardboard box?"
I have tonight and sometimes, just sometimes, that is all you need.
For those of you following this thing, I guess you could say, I just found my "aha" moment.
Let's get this party started.
It's been awhile for this, so let me end with...
Smooches,
G
(Ms. Kittens has finally returned)
No comments:
Post a Comment